This compote isn't very sweet, but that's how I like it. I was the weird kid who loved pickles as a snack and hated sugary cereals. If you prefer something sweeter, add more sugar to taste. But also consider what you're serving this with - because there are a multitude of possibilities.
This compote would be great over vanilla ice cream, if you're feeling indulgent. If you're being a little more health-conscious, use it to top your yogurt. Or your oatmeal.
This would also make a fine spread for toast and would appreciate every nook and cranny in an English muffin. Pancakes, waffles, or French toast would also be likely companions.
But don't forget the savory side. Cook it down some more for a glaze for poultry or pork, or add it to a salsa or sauce. Or serve it alongside cheese and cracker. The possibilities are almost endless. Good thing rhubarb season isn't short. And don't tell anyone, but this is the ideal use for those few strawberries that are a little to soft or a little under-ripe for serving as-is.
Rhubarb Strawberry Compote
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup strawberries, halved or quartered
Put the rhubarb, water, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Cook on medium heat, stirring as needed, until the rhubarb softens and begins to break down.
If you want a thicker mixture, keep cooking until it reaches your desired consistency.
Take the pot off the heat, add the strawberries, and stir to combine. Transfer to a storage container and refrigerate until chilled.
This post is part of #SundaySupper. Want to see the other bloggers involved?
Cocktails and Wine Pairings:
- Lemon Parsley Cocktail Magnolia Days
- Tangerine Thyme Fizz Cocktail An Appealing Plan
- Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Wine; Herb and Wine Pairing Charts Wine Every Day
- Baked Jalapeno Poppers Supper for a Steal
- Garden Salsa Chocolate Moosey
- Herb Party Vegetable Gratin Val's Food and or Art
- High Fiber Zucchini Mint Lentil Fritters Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Zucchini Corn Fritters Mrs. Mama Hen
- Tarragon Chicken Lovely Pantry
- Asparagus Souffle The Daily Dish Recipes
- Mediterranean Style Meatloaf The Meltaways
- Chicken Bruschetta Family Foodie
- Spring Herbs and Green Tortilla de Patata Les recettes de Lorette
- Zucchini Lasagne From My Corner of Saratoga
- Red Potato and Grilled Corn Salad The Messy Baker Blog
- German Home Fries and Herbed Quark Dip The German Foodie
- Scallion Pancakes Teeny Tiny Kitchen
- Roasted Sweet and Spicy Brussel Sprouts Juanita's Cocina
- Pink Peppercorn Pavlova with Strawberry and Basil Syrup The Primlani Kitchen
- Meyer Lemon Bars That Skinny Chick Can Bake