Yes, I've gone mad.
I made cupcakes and had extra frosting. I wasn't planning another cake immediately. I started brainstorming. Where could I use the frosting?
This time of year, many thoughts turn to ice cream, but after testing a dollop, I found out that it froze too hard to work in ice cream. So I added some vodka, and it was the perfect texture.
Depending on your buttercream mixture, you might need more or less "loosening." I suggest starting with a cup of buttercream, adding 1 tablespoon of vodka, then freezing a spoon full to see if you like the results. If it's still too hard, add more vodka.
As far as flavors, you really don't need a flavored version, but if you have one, you might as well use it. Cake flavor, whipped flavor, chocolate flavor ... use anything you think will be compatible.
Welcome to Ice Cream Week 2014!
|You could win these!|
We're in the home stretch for ice cream now, and it's all deliciously downhill from here. Only a few more days to go.
This year the event is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen.
We have teamed up with 25 amazing bloggers to bring you ice cream treats all week long. I hope you have as much fun as we did. Break out those stretchy pants and celebrate Ice Cream Week with us.
Our sponsors for the event have provided us with some great prizes.
A huge thanks to Cake Boss, Anolon, Microplane, WÜSTHOF, Page Street Publishing and Quarry Spoon.
Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen have tossed in a bonus prize of a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker because they think everyone should own one!
Be sure to swing by all of today's Ice Cream Week Participants:
- Ice Cream Float by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Maple Bacon Bourbon Brown Sugar Ice Cream Sandwiches by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Coffee and Donuts Ice Cream Sandwiches by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate with Buttercream Icing Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Dulce de Leche and Pecan Sundae by My Catholic Kitchen
- Banana Split Finger Sandwiches by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Strawberries and Cream Ice Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cinnamon Chunk Ice Cream by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Chocolate Mint Frappe by Noshing with the Nolands
- Gluten Free Lemon Mint Frozen Custard by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Oreo Ice Cream by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peach Pie Milkshake by The Messy Baker
- Strawberry Vodka Float by Mind Over Batter
- Coconut Cream Fudge Bars by Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
- Flourless Chocolate Almond Coconut Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- How to Make an Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Soda by Mother Would Know
- No Churn Low Carb Mint Ice Cream by Yours and Mine are Ours
Chocolate Ice Cream with Buttercream Frosting
For the ice cream base:
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup chocolate syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1 package white chocolate* instant pudding mix
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
For the frosting swirl:
1 cup buttercream frosting
2 tablespoons flavored vodka
Combine the cream, milk, chocolate syrup, sugar, pudding mix, vanilla extract, and salt in a bowl. Whisk to combine - and until the sugar has dissolved and you don't have any unmixed bits of pudding mix floating about.
Hint - if you mix the sugar and pudding mix first, then add the liquid, it tends to combine easier. But you can also just throw it in a bowl and mix. It just takes a few more stirs to get the job done.
Chill the mixture, then churn according the the manufacturer's instructions.
Meanwhile, beat the frosting and vodka together until combined. Refrigerate until needed.
Churn the ice cream according to the manufacturer's instructions. As you're transferring it to a storage container, dollop in portions of the buttercream. If you like, give it a little stir/swirl - but don't mix too much - you want the buttercream to remain separate from the ice cream.
Freeze until firm.
I thought this was particularly good served on top of brownies, soft cookies, cupcakes, and other cake-like treats. Give it a try!
*Or any compatible flavor. Vanilla, French vanilla, or any version of chocolate would be fine.
And now for the GIVEAWAY!!!
|More goodies to win!|
- One Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine in White
- One Cake Boss Mechanical Ice Cream Scoop with Red Silicone grips
- One Cake Boss 4Pc Ice Cream Bowl Set, Icing Pattern
- One Anolon Advanced Bronze 2 Qt Covered Straining Saucepan with Pour Spout
- One Microplane Herb and Salad Chopper
- One Microplane Premium Classic Grater in White
- One WUSTHOF CLASSIC 9-inch Double Serrated Bread Knife
- One Copy of the Cookbook Making Artisan Gelato by Torrance Kopfer
- One Copy of the Cookbook Everything Goes with Ice Cream by Koralee Teichroeb
- One Copy of the Cookbook Vegan Scoop by Wheeler del Torro
- One Copy of the Cookbook The Great Vegan Bean Book by Kathy Hester
- One Copy of the Cookbook Eat More Dessert by Jenny Kellar
- One Copy of the Cookbook The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
- One Copy of the Cookbook Scoop Adventures by Lindsay Clendaniel