While mom made her soup almost the same way every time, there was one thing that varied a lot - temperature.
You see, I grew up with my own weird version of The Three Bears. My dad liked his beet soup steaming hot. My mother liked it cold, straight from the refrigerator. And I liked it juuuuuust right. For me, that meant just warm enough to be warm. But not hot.
Since then, I've made a lot of different versions of beet soup, including some that are so different my mom probably wouldn't recognize them any more. I've also come to love it at any temperature - chilled, hot, or warm. I've even turned beet soup into a salad.
This time around, I made beet shooters - little chilled shots of soup. This isn't meant to be a big appetizer, but is just a small shot ot chilled soup that whets your appetite. That's what appetizers are supposed to be, right?
The beets I bought were pink, but after they were cooked, they were a little pink and a little yellow. Dark red beets would be fine, too - the color would be different, but that's fine, too.
This is a small recipe - just enough to serve two.
1/4 red pepper, fire roasted
Splash of red wine vinegar
Salt, to taste
1 tablespoon sour cream
Put all the ingredients in your blender. Blend, adding just enough water to get it going, then add more water as needed, to get it to a drinkable consistency.
This post is part of #SundaySupper. The other participating bloggers are:
- Scotch Eggs and Brotchen Rolls – The Meltaways
- Apple Kuchen – Mrs. Mama Hen
- Spaghetti Carbonara – Katherine Martinelli
- Slow Cooker Chicken Paprikash – Make Dinner Easy
- Potato and Spinach Knishes – The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- German Potato Salad – Magnolia Days
- Sausage and Broccoli with Orecchiette – Daddy Knows Less
- Chicken Enchiladas Suizas – The Weekend Gourmet
- Strawberry Tiramisu – Chocolate Moosey
- Chocoflan – Juanita’s Cocina
- Egg Liqueur Cake – The German Foodie
- Rasmalai (Ricotta in Sweet Coconut Milk with Almonds and Pistachio) – Sue’s Nutrition Blog
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad – In the Kitchen With KP
- Rouladen – Midlife Road Trip
- Lemon Balm Roasted Chicken and Rum Raising Cupcakes with Maple Frosting – What Smells So Good?
- Keftikas (Turkish Meat and Leek Patties) – The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Croque Monsieur with a Béchamel sauce – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Momma’s Meat Pie with Poutine Sauce – Momma’s Meals
- Polish Rustic Plum Tart – Comfy Cuisine
- Drop Scones (Scottish Pancakes) – Cositas Bonitas
- Jamaican Cornmeal Pudding – The Lovely Pantry
- Borscht Shooters – Cookistry
- Shepard’s Pie – Big Bear’s Wife
- Parsnip Cakes – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Roasted Curried Vegetables – Hot Curries & Cold Beer
- Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in a Chorizo Sauce – Family Foodie
- Kalbi Steak Kimchi Grilled Cheese – Damn Delicious
- Wine pairings for all the recipes – ENOFYLZ